Jasprit Bumrah is to lead the Indian side for the upcoming Ireland T20I series starting on the 18th of August.
India vs Ireland T20 Series
Team India’s next assignment after the tour of West Indies is the 3-match T20I matches in Ireland. India vs Ireland T20 series will start on 18th August and end on 23rd August 2023. With star bowler Jasprit Bumrah heading the Indian second-string team against the hosts Ireland, Team India will have a new captain for their forthcoming assignment in the United Kingdom (UK). Senior bowler Bumrah’s comeback to international cricket will occur in the forthcoming three-match series against Ireland. Due to a persistent back issue, Bumrah was forced to sit out for approximately 11 months.
Jasprit Bumrah Injury Timeline
- July 2022: Bumrah reported a back problem after the 2nd ODI against England in July 2022 and missed the 3rd ODI. Upon further consultation, it turned out to be a re-emergence of the back injury that he suffered in 2019.
- August 2022: Missed the ODI series in the West Indies. Returned to the NCA after his back issue flared up.
- August 2022: Bumrah missed the Asia Cup as he failed to recover in time.
- September 2022: After a two-and-half-month recovery, Bumrah rushed to return to the South Africa series ahead of the T20 WC.
- September 2022: After bowling just 6 overs in two T20s, the move backfired as Bumrah aggravated the injury.
- October 2022: Bumrah was ruled out of the T20 World Cup entirely.
- November 2022: The pacer missed the New Zealand tour.
- December 2022: He also missed the Bangladesh tour.
- January 2023: Although he was set to return to the Sri Lanka ODI series, he complained of a stiff back at the NCA.
- February 2023: Jasprit Bumrah missed the Border Gavaskar Trophy.
- March 2023: Misses IPL 2023 and goes for back surgery in New Zealand instead.
- June 2023: Continues with rehab post-surgery and misses the WTC Final 2023.
- July 2023: Begins bowling at full tilt at the NCA and set to return for IND vs IRE T20s.
For the Ireland series, Indian opener Ruturaj Gaikwad will take the place of a completely fit Bumrah. Bumrah hasn’t played in a serious cricket match since India’s home T20I series against Australia in September of last year. Bumrah also missed the Asia Cup and T20 World Cup in 2017. Speedster Prasidh Krishna will also be playing after an extended injury hiatus along with pace ace Bumrah. Due to a spinal stress fracture, Prasidh has been sidelined since India’s visit to Zimbabwe in August of last year.
The players for India’s second team are Jitesh Sharma, Rinku Singh, and Shivam Dube. Yashasvi Jaiswal, Mukesh Kumar, Arshdeep Singh, Tilak Varma, Avesh Khan, and Sanju Samson all retained their spots in the Indian T20I team following the West Indies series. The second-string Indian squad, captained by Bumrah, will want to win this game in order to exact revenge for their Caribbean loss to the West Indies.
India vs Ireland T20 series schedule:
|18th August (Friday)||India vs Ireland, 1st T20I||The Village, Dublin|
|20th August (Sunday)||India vs Ireland, 2nd T20I||The Village, Dublin|
|23rd August (Monday)||India vs Ireland, 3rd T20I||The Village, Dublin|
When playing Ireland, India will use spinners Ravi Bishnoi, Shahbaz Ahmed, and Washington Sundar in place of Yuzvendra Chahal, Ravindra Jadeja, and Kuldeep Yadav. Bumrah’s Team India departed for Ireland on Tuesday in preparation for the three-match T20I series that will be contested in Dublin.
It’s interesting to note that neither head coach Rahul Dravid nor NCA president VVS Laxman will go with the Indian squad to Ireland for the series. For India’s final white-ball series before the Asia Cup 2023, coaches Sitanshu Kotak and Sairaj Bahutule will be a member of the Indian team.
India’s squad: Jasprit Bumrah (C), Ruturaj Gaikwad (VC), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Tilak Varma, Rinku Singh, Sanju Samson (WK), Jitesh Sharma (WK), Shivam Dube, Washington Sundar, Shahbaz Ahmed, Ravi Bishnoi, Prasidh Krishna, Arshdeep Singh, Mukesh Kumar, Avesh Khan.
Ireland squad: Paul Stirling (Captain), Andrew Balbirnie, Ross Adair, Harry Tector, Gareth Delany, Curtis Campher, George Dockrell, Fionn Hand, Lorcan Tucker (WK), Mark Adair, Joshua Little, Barry McCarthy, Theo van Woerkom, Benjamin White, Craig Young
India vs Ireland: When and Where to watch, live Coverage online
All three T20Is of the Ireland series will be available for a live stream in India on JioCinema. All three games will get underway at 7:30 IST.